The North Wales Sheep Dog Society (NWSDS) started off as The Association of Sheepdog Trial Societies of North Wales and first met in the Liberal Club Caernarfon on December 6, 1930. Nefyn & District Sheep Dog Trials Society instigated the first meeting in an attempt to avoid Society trial dates clashing.
It was decided to include Societies from Anglesey, Caernarfonshire, Denbighshire and Merionethshire.
Chairman: Mr. Jones, Nefyn; Vice chairman: Mr Booth, Llandudno; Hon. Treasurer: Mr W. Julian Jones, Barclays Bank, Nefyn; Hon. Secretary: Mr Geo Wood, Llandudno
At the first meeting a list of judges, runners and dogs was drawn up. In the second it was decided that all meetings were to be conducted in Welsh and the Rt. Hon. Lord Mostyn of Llandudno was appointed as President.
A working committee was also elected as it was impossible to progress matters with so many members attending meetings. Its first duty was to draw up rules and the annual membership fee was fixed at 2/6 (12 1/2 p.)
The first Association trials were held in Beaumaris in 1931. At that time there were 22 affiliated Societies and every competitor had to be a member if competing at any of the affiliated Society trials.
The first few years were quite troublesome as not all trial committees were prepared to join the Association and the clashing of trial dates caused much animosity.
In 1955 a trial was arranged between teams from the North and South Wales societies.
At present the North Wales Sheep Dog Society includes approximately 55 affiliated Societies from the 6 old counties of Wales (Anglesey, Caernarfonshire, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Meirionethshire, Montgomeryshire) and 250 individual members from Wales and other UK and European countries.