Public Liability insurance for trials
Is provided for the North Wales Sheep Dog Society (NWSDS) by the International Sheep Dog Society (ISDS).
Summary of cover
The insurance is the same that the ISDS has for its National and International Trials which, basically, is for £15 million public liability and £10 million employer’s liability cover. That is, if the Organiser (NWSDS Secretary) or any Instructed Person (see definition below), through neglect, allows injury to a person or that person’s property, then they are protected under the policy subject to insurer’s standard policy terms, exceptions and conditions should legal action be pursued by the injured party. For property loss or damage there is a £250 excess. Note that this is not accident cover for anyone who suffers injury to themselves, their property or vehicle through their own neglect nor will persons who are not an Instructed Person be covered. Vehicle use is not covered and organisers must ensure that these have their own policy. Also, individual sheep are not insured (NWSDS membership provides cover).
- The society or association must be based in the UK (incl. N. Ireland) and be affiliated to the ISDS i.e. be a current member (NWSDS is a life member). The Organiser must be a member of the ISDS (NWSDS Secretary is a member).
- This form must be completed and sent to the ISDS Office with the administration fee of £15.00 to register the trial details (NWSDS Secretary completes and submits forms).
- Strictly, the majority of officials would normally be members of the ISDS. However, cover extends to all Instructed Persons being officials, staff, and volunteers who act under instruction from the Organiser or a designated official (NWSDS as Organiser designates Affiliated Trials Secretaries as officials); they effectively become employees of the ISDS for the purpose of the trial, including setting up and dismantling.
- The Organiser (i.e. designated officials – Affiliated Trial Secretaries); should have a written list of all responsible persons and must ensure that all reasonable steps are taken to identify and remove any hazard at the earliest opportunity by instruction, training or supervision as appropriate.
- The Organiser may delegate authority to manage the trial to another official (NWSDS as Organiser designates Affiliated Trials Secretaries as officials to manage trials)
I.S.D.S. entry number (table added when details confirmed)
|NWSDS TRIALS||ISDS entry no.||ISDS entry no.|
|Championships||2294||Nursery final||venue tbc|
|Llanfyllin (Class 2/3)||2326||All Wales Nursery final||2303|
|Ardudwy (N)||2296||Dolgellau (N)||2299|
|Bodafari (N)||2297||Llangelynnin (N)||2302|
|Cwm Pennant (N)||2298||Llanfairfechan (N)||2295|
|Llanerchymedd (N)||2300||Betws Garmon (N)||2301|
|Berwyn 2 (DFF)||date tbc||Ardudwy||2322|
|Nant Peris||2310||Ysbyty Ifan||2335|
|Dolwyddelan||2339||Llanarmon yn Ial||2341|
Information circulated to Affiliated Trial Secretaries (download).
Sample risk assessment form (download)
Is provided by the CCDGC/NWSDS from its own funds.
- The maximum sum for the loss, injury and disposal of any one animal is £150 (note that veterinary fees are not included).
- Handlers are liable for any damage caused by their dog.