🚩 Postponed AGM 3rd December
Society AGM 2020 and business update
In view of the continuing problems regarding Covid-19, the Trustees as you know took the decision to postpone the 2020 AGM which was due to take place on the 3rd December.
A large indoor or outdoor gathering of people from different households is not possible therefore our regular booking at Pentrefoelas was cancelled.
Holding an AGM through Zoom was considered but the technical and practical requirements make this unfeasible at present.
If a meeting becomes viable in the first half of 2021 details will be advised otherwise there will not be another AGM until the 2nd December 2021.
Any motions for the 2020 AGM will be carried forward for discussion and voting at the first opportunity. Motions for the 2021 AGM should still be submitted to the Secretary as normal by the 21st October 2021 including the names of proposer and seconder.
On behalf of Montgomeryshire I will continue as chair in 2021 in the hope that we can then resume our normal sequence in 2022. The Trustees will seek to co-opt members to the Management Committee to fill any Trustee vacancies that arise. These interim appointments and any changes made to the Society’s rules or procedures will be presented for adoption by resolution at the next possible general meeting.
There are also some other Society matters that I need to bring to your attention –
- If an approved Covid-19 vaccine is rolled out as planned by Easter (weekend 2nd to 5th April) it should be possible to print a 2021 diary. This will require a sufficient number of trial dates to be confirmed as normal by 1st March 2021. Otherwise in order to control costs the Trustees have decided that it will have to be in an ‘electronic form’ using our website (next trial) and Facebook closed group for paid up members (all notified trial dates). If you are not on already on Facebook it may be worth considering joining.
- To afford the Trustees greater personal liability protection and reduce costs we are hoping to form a new charitable structure as a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO). If this is accepted by the Charity Commission our assets will be transferred to the ‘new’ charity and our existing constitution will come to an end. Although this is largely a technical issue it will require 75% of the voting members at an AGM to proceed and will be a significant motion at the next meeting.
- Membership subscriptions and donations amongst other things help pay for the work of the Secretary and Treasurer which includes more than just compiling the diary in whatever form. The Society, for example, as a charity has regulatory requirements to fulfil, the website and social media platforms have to be maintained (including the trial results service) and the Society trials have to be organised. Trustees consider that the majority of members recognise this work and believe that the impact on membership numbers in 2021 should not be too adverse. This will be reviewed before a decision is made on subscription fees and what form the diary will take in 2022.
- The Society has reported a loss of £1,204 for the year 2019/2020 ending 31st October 2020. Fortunately, our planned reserves are more than sufficient to cover this loss and a similar sum anticipated for 2020/2021.
- Total individual membership at the end of 2020 is 235 a net reduction of 36 (£540) due, in the main, to not being able to collect cash memberships from UK and continental Europe based triallists. This highlights the importance of maintaining individual memberships to the viability of the Society. Standing orders really are the best way to pay 😃.
- The Charity Commission annual reports (2019/2020) are also posted on the website as normal and provide fuller details.
The Trustees would like to thank you all for your support during this difficult year with Covid-19 and hope that this will continue in 2021 which as I write is looking far more promising.
In the meantime, we wish all our members good health and happy Christmas and New Year festivities.
Chair of Trustees Management Committee 2020 & 2021